Plex, the best alternative for Netflix offers several transcoding features to improve your streaming experience.
Although Plex is known for delivering high-quality video streaming playback to its users, many users have also reported jerky and stuttering playback issue while watching movies.
Change Local Network Quality
This feature determines the Quality of Service (QoS). Setting the video quality to its highest level will enable a better transmission rate.
- Open the Plex application.
- Click Options.
- Select Settings | Video.
- Set Quality over the local network to the Maximum level.
Set Network Discovery Off
Network Discovery is a feature that gathers information about the devices connected to a network. This feature, which is part of Sharing Options, may impact the streaming performance.
- Go to Options | Settings.
- Select System.
- Now select Network Discovery and turn it off.
Change Direct Stream Settings
Configure the advanced options and turn off unsupported features.
- Once again go to Options | Settings.
- Select Advanced.
- Disable the Direct Stream and Direct Play features.
- Press Home x5, Rewind x3 and Fast Forward x2 buttons in a sequence.
- In the new options that appear, select the Automatic option.
Establish Wired Connection
Wireless connections can be slow, expensive and less secure, unlike wired connections. To get the best Plex streaming experience possible, establish a wired connection as shown below:
- Go to the main menu using the PS Button.
- Select Settings | Network Settings | Internet Connection Settings.
- Select the Easy mode.
- Select the Wired Connection.
- Click Test Connection.
Erase NowTV Application Data
Your device makes use of application data while downloading and streaming movie and other content. Delete all of the corrupt data so that the device will obtain fresh data again and hence, do away with the chances of any playback issues.
- Open up the PS3 XMB.
- Choose Game | Game Data Utility.
- Choose NOW TV Data.
- Press the Triangle icon.
- Select Delete option.
Alternatively, you can follow the steps given below:
- Go to the main Settings.
- Select System Storage Management.
- Choose Application Saved Data.
- Choose Saved Data from the System Storage category.
- Choose NOW TV | Options | Delete.
Reinstall the NowTV App
Try reinstalling the NowTV App to sort out the movies lag issue.
- Open up the PS3 XMB.
- Select TV/ Video Services.
- Select the Now TV app from the list of services.
- Press the Triangle icon and select the Deletion option from the context menu.
- Restart your device.
- Go back to the TV/ Video Services section of the PS3 XMB.
- Choose My Channels.
- Download the Now App again.
Check the Signal Strength
When it comes to streaming, signals are known to be susceptible to external interference. Make sure that the TV is within the range of your base station, and there are no objects that interfere with the signal quality.
- Go to the Main Menu and choose Settings.
- Select General | About.
- Check the signal strength.
Update the TV Software
Updating TV software improves the content download speed as well as access to new features.
- Go to Settings.
- Select General | Update Software.
- Initiate the download and install process.
Configure the TCP/ IP
TCP/ IP stands for Transmission Control Protocol and Internet Protocol respectively. Set up them automatically for best Plex results.
- Go to the Main Menu.
- Select Settings | General | Network.
- Choose Configure TCP/ IP.
- Select the option named Automatically on the Network Setup page.
- Reboot your TV as well as the router.